During her lifetime the average woman uses about 10,000 sanitary products, which amount to around 125 to 150 kg of garbage after discarding… it is more than clear that single-use products are dominant in our culture today, even in the most intimate areas of our lives. However, we know that you can go green - yes, even on your period! - and actually, the solution has already been here for almost a century: the menstrual cup.
While there are many reasons why menstrual cups are good for your health it is actually really great to know that cups can be beneficial to planet Earth as well! Garbage is definitely one thing we can relieve nature from: just think of the never-ending amount of plastic packaging, applicators and tampon sleeves that accompany all throw-away sanitary products. According to the latest studies only 9% of all plastic is recycled globally which leaves us with 91% plastic accumulating in landfills and, ultimately, in the oceans. It gets even worse having in mind that plastic can take up to 1 000 years to biodegrade, meaning your grand-grandchildren will also have to live with the trash you produced just last month. All of this goes without mentioning the waste that goes into the production of the sanitary materials - including pesticides where cotton is concerned.
You know the old saying “reduce, re-use, recycle” - the menstrual cup gives you the opportunity to do all three, at once. You can feel good about your body and even better about your conscience because you buy a menstrual cup only once - when you find the one that suits you most - and you’re settled for the next 10 years. It is easy to use and take care of and it also gives you infinite opportunities to do even more good to your body and the planet with your saved money.